Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fun firsts and silly September scenes.

We are officially welcoming fall!
I may not be super excited about the chilly weather which will follow...but like it or not it is here!

We have been squeezing in a few more days outside in the lovely sun....
Baby Dubs has even figured out how to play teeball. Seriously. He can balance the ball on the tee. He can effectively swing at the ball and make contact with it (and miss the tee). I'm impressed. Maybe that says as much about my physical prowess as it does my son's amazing swing. Here's the proof (he had just had a "special" diaper and it was almost bedtime, so please excuse the redneck diaper expo that follows):
Greta has been helping me tend the 8...yes EIGHT...pumpkins in the garden. A few of them are big enough to gain us some neighborhood notoriety. Now we are just hoping that the squirrels don't chew them up before we can carve them up in October!
Yesterday we spent the day getting ready for today (more on that to follow). Wes got his first haircut. The Wessy baby mullet is gone. And now he looks like a respectable young studmuffin with a nicely cropped 'do.
Sister got her hairs cut too so she would be ready for.....the Preschool Picnic! We had alot of fun seeing our old friends and last year's teacher Mrs S.
It was also exciting to see Greta's new classroom and get ready to learn with Greta's new teacher this year, Mrs. R.
And all of that brings us to today...the first day of school. Be still my heart. Greta had her 1st day of her 2nd year of preschool today and it went swell. Knowing pictures would be a must, I had to dress this kids "matchins" (Greta's word). While waiting for Daddy to get ready Wes discovered himself in the mirror and gave himself boatloads of kisses (mu-ah!).
Then we got on with the main event. The twosome...adorable, if I do say so myself.
And then the school girl sporting her decorated purple bag.
You would have thought it was a professional photo shoot today with all of the posing and cheesy smiles.
And then just like that...she plunged into her new classroom and left us in the dust.
She is SO ready for this.

Sigh. In a fit of sentimentality last night we watched birth and baby videos. I love them. Gunky stuff and all- I love seeing that moment when my kids took their first breath. I love looking at their puffy, ruddy faces in these videos and searching for moments of what are now familiar expressions. I love seeing how quickly Greta was opening her eyes and searching out the people in her world. I love hearing Wessy's lusty cry full of vigor and determination. Little pieces of who they are, obvious in these early moments. There were also snippets of firsts (ok, and one really really long video of Greta's 2nd bath that even I don't find interesting) and hilarious performances saved for us to see over and over again. And there were things we forgot...like the video of Greta on the day she became deathly ill. I searched my own face for recognition and I realized that while the core of me remains, I am not the same human as I was on that morning. Those captured moments provided a backdrop for todays events that are haunting and happy.
I'm grateful down to my piggy toe for today's reminder that sometimes the impossible happens.

No comments: