Friday, June 11, 2010

Memorable Memorial Day Week














Well we survived the solo parent trip down to AL for Memorial Day. In fact, we more than survived it...we enjoyed it! Everyone (particularly the grandmas) was concerned that I had lost my mind when I proposed that I could travel alone with an active toddler and a 6 week old baby. There were lots of prep-talks with Greta before hand and she shocked us all by being a very attentive and calm little traveler and baby Wes was a natural. SHEW. That being said, I don't plan on going it alone again any time soon. Next trip south Daddy will definitely come with us! We missed him way too much.

Greta and cousin Evelyn fell right into their play rhythm effortlessly. They play together so well with only the occasional "who is in charge" struggle common to 3 year olds. It is really awesome. As usual, Granny & Gramps maximized the play opportunities with trips to the park, the pool, the princess party.... Yes, I said Princess Party. Our nieces Evelyn & Amelia have birthdays close to Memorial Day so we decided to celebrate their birthdays late/early so we could all be in on the fun. Evelyn loves to play princess so Granny created the ultimate Princess Birthday celebration for her. We all dressed up. All of us. It was quite the gas to see Uncle Dan dressed to impress as the King of the affair. The girls had a great time and made a great memory. In addition to all the great family time, some friends from Birmingham came up for a visit and brought their darling kiddos for a mini-reunion. I miss being close to so many of my friends and their families. It was lovely to have a morning to catch up and see how big their little people are getting.

It was a good visit. I found myself having "moments" everyday when I was overwhelmed with how fortunate we have been. Tearful, happy, relieved moments. This was a picture that seemed almost impossible in January. It was our first Haggstrom family gathering since our ordeal and you could almost feel our collective sigh of relief that it did indeed appear that our life might be "normal" again. That joy coupled with the safe arrival of Wes & my nieces' birthdays was almost too much happiness to contain under one roof. Friends stopped by to see for themselves & share in our joy. It was good...really good. Here are a few attempts to capture our fun week...

No comments: